[oletrucks] more brake ?

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] more brake ?
From: Thomas M OBrien <tmobrien@juno.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 1999 20:50:34 -0700
I have to redo my brakes and have been reading the previous posts with
much interest.  My brake fluid always seems to have a bluish, brown color
to it, and the brakes have never seemed to work right; i.e. soft, spongy
pedal feel.

1.   I understand that my brake fluid is contaminated, but don't know
why.
Would flushing the system with new fluid solve the problem or do I need
to rebuild my wheel cylinders too?  Also, what about the original steel
brake lines themselves; do they need to be replaced too?  (rust...)

2.  I also understand that my soft pedal feel is due to air in the
system, but again I don't know why.  Could this also be due to the flex
lines that go from the frame to the wheel being defective? (I plan on
replacing them anyway)

3.  How do I test if the proportioning/combination valve is working
properly (front disks/rear drums).  When I slam on the brakes they pull
to one side them back to the other when I let go...

4.  Finally, wouldn't it make more sense to reverse bleed the brakes,
since air has a tendency to rise, and to flush the system of contaminated
brake fluid?

Also, I desperately need 11" x 1-3/4" rear drums for my truck.

Thanks very much for your help.

Tom O
60 Apache K20.