[oletrucks] Re: Jeff Higgins - 216 Cruise speed

To: "oletrucks" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Re: Jeff Higgins - 216 Cruise speed
From: "Mac Kinghorn" <kinghorn@granite.mb.ca>
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 1999 22:07:32 -0400
Jeff

First you can strip down your carb and downsize the main jet.  It probably
has a 51 or 52 main which is considerably bigger than you need.  I would
suggest that, based on jet cost, you pick up several and play with them a
bit.  I am assuming that LA is basically at sea level where the air, or smog
as the case may be, is quite dense and I would suggest picking up a say 46
jet then trying it. All you need to do is watch the spark plugs and make
sure that they are burning a nice tan colour.  This will indicate that you
are not burning to lean or hot.  If you check the plugs now you will
probably find them to be chocolate brown or darker, way to rich.

The other thing that you can do is pick up a single barrel carb off or a mid
to late 60's Chev or Pontiac car six preferably from a 194 or 230 ci and put
it on.  You may have to change the base plate, where the throttle plate is,
to get your linkage to hook up other than that the carb will be physically
the same.  The one advantage here is that the automotive carb will most
likely have an automatic choke rather than the Mech. Choke but this can also
be converted if you so desire.

Give these, your choice, a try and let me know how you make out

Mac