[oletrucks] 6400 with a 396 BBC

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] 6400 with a 396 BBC
From: Viggo.Holt@kvaerner.com
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 1999 08:29:00 +0200
Hi,
Iīve just replaced the 261 with a 396 ( 1969) in my 6400 HD wrecker. Anyone
have experience with the org. 4-speed trans dealing with the 300HP from the
396? Do Chevy delivered other trans with PTO facilities ( in the sixties?)
"designed" for the 396 output? Will a later trans fit to the orginal
propellershaft and handbrake arrangement? I friend told me that I can only
use the 2-speed rear end while running when shifting up, not if you want to
shift down....Then you have to stop the truck, activate the 2-speed and go
ahead..Is this true..? Doesnīt make sence since itīs the huge step between
3. and 4. th gear I need the 2-speed for when hillclimbing ( shifting from
4.th high to 4.th  low..)

Regards

Viggo
Oslo