[oletrucks] 235 Facts Are In, What To Do Now?

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] 235 Facts Are In, What To Do Now?
From: Hudson29@aol.com
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 1999 15:50:24 EDT
    This past weekend I went to my Local Friendly, bought a set of
Vermont-American Screw Extractors (Easy Outs) and had at the old used 235. On
the timing cover, somebody in the past had broken off two screws in the
block, stripped the threads on two more and used what must have been a full
tube of that very effective blue silicon gasket sealer to hide the evidence
of the crime. With the remnants of the screw out, the front main cap could be
removed at last for plastigaging. The final results are:

    No. 1 Main .003 tapering to .002, showing copper on the side in one
corner - one "expert" commented that this main cap had been installed cocked
- accounting for the odd wear pattern in the corner

    No. 2 Main .003, showing light copper over a broad area

    No. 3 Main .003, showing some copper in spots and on the thrust surfaces

    No. 4 Main .0025 tapering to .001, somewhat battered but no copper

    Nos. 1,3,4,5 & 6 rod bearings all plastigaged at .0015 showing no copper,
the No. 2 rod cap would not come off and was not measured

    All bearings show some signs of scoring from particulate matter and
looked somewhat knocked about.

    The cam lobes look reasonable with some small nicks, except on the fuel
pump lobe that looks to have an 1/8" concave wear pattern on the face of the
lobe

    My local friendly offers to grind and polish the crank, supply new main
and rod bearings to suit and drill and tap the nose of the crank for $220.
I'm just not sure I would sleep well putting the motor back together as it
is, and this offer is very tempting. Questions:

    Is there a better solution than just pulling the crank and getting it
done properly with new bearings?

    What about the cam? Assuming that I decide to retain the mechanical fuel
pump this cam is in need of help. If I buy an aftermarket cam, can I fit it
to my old cam bearings? What aftermarket cam is suitable for a mostly stock
235 in truck use?

Paul O'Neil, Hudson29@aol.com
1951 Chevrolet 3600 Pickup Project, See it at:
The Poor Man's Advanced Design Tech Tips Page
http://home.earthlink.net/~conntest47/
Fullerton, California USA
AEROMARK - Need Rubber Stamps or Signs? See:
http://hometown.aol.com/hudson29/myhomepage/index.html