[oletrucks] running a diesel on vegetable oil

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] running a diesel on vegetable oil
From: varanus@mail.phoenix.net
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 1999 12:25:20 -0500
Hi, in my quest to improve every aspect of my impact on our world, I
have been looking into diesel engines as they will run on vegetable oil
- even used vegetable oil!   Does anyone know if I can mate a modern
diesel motor with 80s style 4 speeds or with a stock TF 4 speed?

I know this sounds ridiculous - running veggie oil - but apparently it
works as I know a couple who are right now going cross country
using used fast food vegetable oil to power their mini RV.  They say
the exhaust smells like french fries!  I am not a speed demon and
would rather have torque so this sounds like something to really
explore.  The exhaust is 75%  cleaner then regular diesel or gasoline
and the motor my freinds are using - a 2 liter diesel engine - gets 25
miles per gallon while pulling not only the mini RV but also a trailer
with a biodiesel processor.

For those interested, this is not a new concept. The inventor of the
diesel engine - Rudolf Diesel - designed his diesel motor to run on
vegetable oils - any vegetable oil: corn, peanut, soy, canola,
sunflower, hemp, coconut - in 1900.  He disappeared mysteriously in
1902 and the vegetable oil idea was shelved to make room for the more
expensive (although it wasn't then) fossil fuel - petroleum.

It is an easy process to change the molecular structure of straight veg
oil to a smaller molecule oil which can then be used to power your
motor. Transesterification is the process using the veg oil, alcohol and
a catalyst which produces Biodiesel.  The only by product is glycerin
which can be used to make all kinds of products including soaps.  It is
easily "harvested" from the transesterification process.

While we all can't go dump pure veg oil in our diesels today, nor can
we just fill up while on the road - the process is remarkably easy,
inexpensive and, for those interested, a quick learning curve can make
this a reality.  I for one, regardless of the low gas costs we americans
enjoy, am always looking for a method to improve my mileage and my
exhaust and support organic sustainable agriculture.

This has been my only problem with classics. I have several old trucks
and cars and bikes and, as much as I love them, part of me really finds
it hypocritical (on my part) to advocate cleaner lifestyles for us and
our children while cruising down the road in my 51 chev . Even though
I keep it tuned beautifully, getting 10-15 miles to the gallon is not good
enough.  And even though I always think that I offset my petro
consumming with the other things I do in my life (like composting,
keeping my trash to a minimum, buying recycled and recycling, not
using toxic chems, etc) the fact remains that my old trucks are dirty
and I would change it if I could.  So, here is a potential and realistic
method.

So...I don't know a thing about diesel motors...yet.  What motors will
mate with an 80s 4 speed or a 58 chev stock (what is it - I forget) 4
speed?

I am not experienced with this method yet so for those who may
understand more about diesel processes and think this is BS, I look
forward to your comments as I want to learn!  Our country, our world
is a beautiful place filled with such exquisite magnificence. I want my
kids to see and enjoy it too, and my grandkids and so on.  Dig it!
Eric Pesci