Re: [oletrucks] Master Brake Cylinder (questions)

To: ROGER GLEASON <rogerg@maverick.facil.uconn.edu>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Master Brake Cylinder (questions)
From: Grant Galbraith <trks@javanet.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 14:24:06 -0400

ROGER GLEASON wrote:

> (snip)
> > " I have read all the message's about the master brake cylinder and i have a
> >  question about it, what's wrong with buying a new original master brake
> >  cylinder that fits right in place."
> (unsnip)
> (snip)
> > " With the single resevoir M/C, if you were to have a leaking wheel cylider,
> > or blow one out, you could lose all your brake functions, with the dual M/C
> > setup, if you lost one wheel cylinder, you would only lose the braking in
>one
> > axle."
> (unsnip)
>
> OK! So I got a question about the above issues...
> These dual reservoir MC usually serve two different type systems...
> Usually disc in front and drum in rear...Don't they each require a
> different volume of fluid to operate and isn't the MC Plungers sized
> to the system served? Do these systems when adapted to a single type
> system (Drums all around)  function properly? It appears that the
> fluid lines are also different sizes... Just wondering!

The bore is the same size for front and rear, and volume or pressure will be the
same for drums. It's when you run disc's in the front that you need a external
proportioning valve. I don't know the significance of different size lines but
on
bendix brakes the wheel cylinders are for 3/16 lines.

Grant 50 3100