Re: [oletrucks] Considering 53 GMC hauling

To: "dave riffel" <cafe_dave@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Considering 53 GMC hauling
From: Thomas Allen <thomasa@halcyon.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 13:45:26 -0700
If it's as you say, I wouldn't think twice about snapping this one up. My
guess is that it would have a 248 engine. Other options, if you can find
them, would be 270 or 302. All are better than a 235 Chev from a power
standpoint. A  53 should have Bendix brakes which are better than the Huck
brakes that I have. If it has 14 inch brake drums on the rear, you're in
business. You'll have all the brakes you'll ever need. The hucks have never
overheated on me despite long downgrades with a gross of 10,000 or so. It
just takes a lot of leg muscle. This truck would be a very good basis from
which to work. You could have a very competent fifth-wheel tractor with
relitively little effort. You'll still need more gears, though; unless you
go for a big inch V-8. Also, some GMCs came with 5-speed overgear
transmessions. You should start looking for one of these. If you find two
let me know.

Tom Allen
51 3800

At 04:52 PM 8/25/99 -0700, dave riffel wrote:
>Well, I got a lot of great advice on this so far.  Thanks to everyone.  I
>think in light of the extensive mods necessary to my 1/2 ton I would likely
>be better off looking for a 3/4 ton or better. Even though a big block
>sounds like _sooo_ much fun.  I just happen to know where I can get a 53 GMC
>long bed 1 ton registered as a 3/4 ton.  It is complete, runs (albeit the
>fuel system needs cleaned out after sitting for 12 yrs) and for $1200 seems
>like a pretty good deal.  It's all original and has maybe 10,000 miles.
>
>I do have some questions about this one too.  Does anyone know what engine
>may be in there, it's definitely the original.  Also would the brakes be up
>to the task under modern driving conditions.  I'm confident the engine will
>be capable, even if this would be a slow rig.  I'd like to keep it as
>original as possible with the exceptions of good brakes and a 12 volt
>upgrade, if I end up going this route.
>
>Thanks again!  I really appreciate everyone's input.
>
>Dave Riffel

Tom Allen
Seattle, WA