Re: [oletrucks] Ton-Up AD or Speedo Calibration Mahem

To: <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Ton-Up AD or Speedo Calibration Mahem
From: "Claude Ramey" <cramey@n-link.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 17:11:31 -0500
Dave, it's some kinda math thing. It's a speedo gear ratio/percent kinda
thing. My speedo was way off when I put the car 4-speed in. This mismatch is
probably due to 30 inch tall tires with a 3.08 rear gear ratio. I didn't do
any calculating but the guy at the trans shop gave me a gear for the output
shaft on the trans with more teeth on it. This would slow down the
speedometer by whatever percent teeth(don't remember now) I added. Since, I
have driven by the portable radar thing. if my memory is correct, the speedo
said 40 and the radar said 50. Using my math, I figured I needed to reduce
the speed of the speedometer by about 20% (10 mph from 50 mph). I took out
the cable speedo gear, it had 22 teeth. 22 teeth minus 20%(4.4 teeth) equals
about a 17 or 18 tooth gear. The Chevy dealer had an 18 tooth gear, close
enough. Just last week I drove by the portable radar at 50 mph and again at
30. (can't go too fast, its a 30mph zone near a school zone)As close as I
can tell its near perfect.
My old trans had an adapter on the speedo connection. It broke and I put
back together without it. I think your speed calculations are about what
mine was with the old traans.
I hadn't thought about it much, but once I drove 80 mph with the old speedo
gears (20% off). Was I doing 96?!
If any of the math is wrong, sorry, but I somehow ended up with an acurate
speedometer