Re: [oletrucks] Customizing idea

To: "Rob Steinmetz" <rstein@bright.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Customizing idea
From: Thomas Allen <thomasa@halcyon.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 23:56:27 -0700
I have. The truck I saw many times over a period of years had what appeared
to be "Tanker Fenders" from a tank trailer. Not the stock fenders. It
looked good, though. The gox had not been tubbed. I would avoid tubbing as
the box is barely wide enough as it is, presuming you want to haul
anything. Measure the distance between the inside duals. My guess is that
they are substantially narrower than the box. If they are, then you might
have to find a Dually axle or possibly use different hubs that are offset
to the outside. I dont know what these migh be, though.

-Tom Allen
51 3800

At 12:40 PM 8/29/99 -0400, Rob Steinmetz wrote:
>    Has anyone seen an AD 1-Ton with dual rear wheels tucked under the rear
>of a conventional  bed?  Currently, my 1950 GMC has a stakeside bed (10'
>long.)  I picked up the 1953 1-ton that another list member told us about
>from Buffalo, MO just last weekend.  The unexpected bonus is that it had a
>10' steel bed in relatively good condition.
>    My dilema is now this...the dual rear wheels look good under the
>stakeside setup.  I think they would look really good tucked under the
>fenders of the bed I will be transferring over to the GMC.  I haven't done
>any measuring yet, and don't know if the fenders need to be stretched or the
>bed needs to be tubbed.  Perhaps all I need to do is locate an 8-lug axle
>from a donor truck that will be narrow enough to fit everything without
>messing with the fenders.
>    We've got enough experts out there.  Who has tried this setup before,
>and what will I be coming up against?

Tom Allen
Seattle, WA