Re: [oletrucks] High Speed Rear End for 50 3/4 ton

To: <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] High Speed Rear End for 50 3/4 ton
From: "Allen L. Jones" <ALJ@hartcrowser.com>
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 1999 07:45:31 -0700
If you have the original torque tube setup (sorry, missed the first part of
this tread), third members will not swap.  Then it does indeed involve a total
swap from hub to perch for the axle you stated.  I'm solving the problem by
installing a 3.55 ring and pinion from Patrick's (many advantages and
disadvantages).  However, I'm not sure if this will work on a 3/4 ton axle or
not.  Patrick can tell you.

>>> "Charles Culver" <sculver@iwl.net> 09/01/99 05:01AM >>>
Cliff (or anyone out there who can help me),

You recently responded to my request for info on a higher speed rear end for
a 50 3/4 ton, and I plan to find a '72 Chevy van to get a 4.11 third member.
Now this may sound really dumb, but tell me, does this involve changing out
the entire rear portion, including axles, hubs and everything, or can this
be accomplished by simply changing some gears inside the housing?  I'd
really like to keep my 8 lug wheels if I can, so they'll match the ones on
the front.

Thanks-

Smokey
'50 3600 5'window