Re: [oletrucks] Worn kingpins

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Worn kingpins
From: TORODRVR@aol.com
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 1999 14:40:06 EDT
Just a question for the other oletruckers still running original front ends.
If your kingpins (or just one of them) get too worn, does it make the
steering "notchy"? I've noticed that the left kingpin on my '48 was pretty
loose, but it drove great until now. I recently noticed a slight detent
feeling in the steering that was not there before. I've put over 17,000 miles
on the truck since I rebuilt the springs and installed a GSPP power steering
kit. Also non-stock are the disc brakes. I know it's time to re-new the
kingpins, but I'd like to know if I should be looking for anything else. The
wheels turn smoothly from lock to lock with the front axle up on jacks.

Mike Jensen
'48 Chevrolet 1/2 ton 5-window