[oletrucks] Seat belt article

To: "oletrucks" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Seat belt article
From: "jack halton" <safesix@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 1999 10:40:51 -0400
Someone mentioned the 10/99 "Custom Classic Trucks" article on installing
Juliano's 3 point seat belts in an AD truck. .. I installed these belts a
few months ago and did it a bit differently than shown in the magazine. The
instructions that come with the belts are rather sparse, so the photos are a
big help - but while the article and photos are basically correct, the truck
used in the photos looks like it has had at least part of the seat riser
removed. This is an important structural member of the cab, and if removed,
the floor has to be braced from underneath.  With the seat riser in place
(as mine is) it would be difficult to mount the retractor boxes in the
position shown. I put mine to the rear, up on the raised platform that
supports the fuel tank. It is a bit tighter fit here, and you have to be
real careful drilling up through the floor near the tank, but it makes for a
cleaner installation, in that the retractor assemblies are hidden in the cab
corners.

Also beware the upper mounting points, as shown in the photos. Mine had to
be installed about 8 inches lower,  to make the shoulder harness belts
comfortable - it sort of looks like they chose their location more for ease
of installation. Nothing is more annoying than a shoulder harness that rides
up onto your neck (even some OEM manufacturers can't seem to get this
right). On my truck the anchor bolt holes are about at the level of my
earlobe, after a lot of trial fitting and sitting. This would probably be
about right for most anyone. But the actual location  will depend on what
kind of seating is installed, and the size of the driver. The chap shown
behind the wheel looks to be  pretty sizeable. I also welded the anchor
plates to the door post, after cutting out a piece of the inner cab shet
metal. This is obviously more work, but I don't have to worry that the bolts
will ever rip loose.

Anybody who drives one of these old trucks in traffic should give serious
thought to installing shoulder harness belts. They are $89.95 per side,
cheap IMHO. That old steering column would make a pretty ugly chest
decoration. I feel a lot safer belted in, after driving a modern vehicle,
you feel naked without shoulder belts.

Jack / Winter Park FL