Re: [oletrucks] Steeriing Column Change

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Steeriing Column Change
From: TORODRVR@aol.com
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 17:28:57 EDT
In a message dated 09/13/1999 11:37:10 AM Mountain Daylight Time,
bfranklin@voyager.net writes:

<< I want to use the steering column >>

Should work fine, assuming you have some fabrication skills. I was able to
adapt the shifting mechanism from a Pontiac Bonneville (78) to my 62 Chevy
1/2 ton, and the steering column was a piece of cake! No real fabrication, I
just had to relieve the '62's bracket with a grinder to clear the extra
mechanisms on the later column. I had already bolted on a late model GM
pickup power steering box (with kit), and the telescoping column hooked right
up.
Maybe not so easy with the power brakes and master cylinder. On my 48, I used
a manual master cylinder bracket from Fatman, and it is satisfactory. Your 55
is more like my 48 than like a 62, so I think you'll want to consider going
the "under-floor" route as well.

Mike Jensen
48 and 62 1/2 ton Chevy pickups