[oletrucks] Our Most Valuable Tool (An Ole Truck School Assignment)

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] Our Most Valuable Tool (An Ole Truck School Assignment)
From: "K & B" <apache58truck@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 02:58:31 EDT
Hi Folks-

My son has a writing assignment he needs to complete for school.  He's
supposed to write a short story that might encourage others to do what's
best when faced with a tough decision.  My son's teacher is trying to show
the students that they have a chance to make a positive difference in this
world... if... they try to do what is right themselves.

BTW... the teacher explained that the kids were allowed to get assistance
from others... just as long as the main idea was their own.  It might appear
a bit "corny" but the idea comes from the heart of a very proud and
determined young "ole trucker" in training! He's still not sure how the
ending might turn out.  He told me he thinks that it's going to be up to
this list to decide his ending.  So.... here's the beginning of his original
story.  (With some assistance from an older friend who... by the way... has
gained a new interest in old trucks, because my son and I joined this list
and shared what we've learned with others!)

-------------------------------
Our Most Valuable Tool
-------------------------------

In the old days there was a powerful guy named, Thor.  Thor could do just
about anything with his magic hammer.  Thor was the kind of guy that could
always do lots of stuff on his own, but he was able to do nearly impossible
things as long as he had the use of his most valuable tool.  To me, my dad
is something like Thor, because somehow  he can do just about anything he
dreams of.

My dad loves to collect cool tools that he knows are very valuable.  When I
was only 5 years old he found a very cool tool that he really liked, but did
not need at the time.  He told a lot of other people about the tool and they
all said it was the best tool they ever saw.  My mom told me that dad said
something like, "I know it has great potential for helping me someday down
the road. I love cool tools like this that can extend possibilities!"
Anyway... my dad gave the thing a good look and said... it was a keeper.  He
put it in his most valuable toolbox and slid it up on the back shelf where
he keeps things he's sure to use when the time is right.

More years went by. Then near the end of school last year I decided to save
an old rusty Chevy truck from sinking into the salt marsh or getting smashed
by the crusher! Even though I'm only 8 years old, my dad and mom let me
rescue it. I bought it with my own money.  I still feel proud because I
saved something I really think is worth a lot!  I was so excited the day it
got delivered to our backyard!  I called everybody on the phone, took lots
of photos, e-mailed my relatives and drew pictures of the way I dreamed the
Apache would look someday when I was old enough to drive it down the road!

My dad and I were happy even though my grandmom yelled at us and said, "Oh
my gosh! What were you two thinking?! Your blind love of ole trucks has
gotten us all in a BIG jam.  What on earth can be done with that old piece
of junk?! What plan do you have for this besides just cluttering up the
place?!"

A lot of people agreed with my grandmom. But not my dad and me. They said we
were both nuts!  But no matter what... my dad stayed calm and I did too,
because we both knew how much we loved old trucks... and now we had one.
Even if it was not like the one we always dreamed we'd have... we still had
our own.  It was a great feeling for my dad and me!

Even though almost everyone thought my dad and I had more screws loose than
the truck did... we still wished we could save about a thousand more of
them! Then one day... my uncle came over to see what everyone was talking
about. I remember he said, "How on earth are you two going to rebuild this
mass from days past?!  You don't know the first thing about restoring an old
truck.  Did you really waste your money on this thing?!"   Well.... my dad
said, "Hey... remember that cool tool I discovered a few years ago?  You
know... the one that can answer just about any old truck question or solve
any old part problem?  Well, as long as we've got that in our toolbox...
we'll be able to turn this old rust bucket into a beautiful driving truck!"
My uncle shook his head an said, "Ah haaaaaa...... I forgot about that
computer list thingy you told us about! I know you can do it now!"

We both read all of the messages and agree that there is still a lot more we
need to learn and try to do to our Apache.  My summer vacation is now over
and school is slowing us down, but I know one thing for sure: My dad and I
really love to use our most valuable tool.  When we use it we can learn all
kinds of stuff about our truck.  We could never rebuild our Apache without
all of my dad's cool tools... and this list is the coolest one of all.

My dad and mom taught me that I should always be very careful with all of
the tools.  I should never leave them out in the rain or abuse them in any
way.  I should always put them back where they belong and not just leave
them any old place.  So far we've been lucky, because we've never lost a
tool.

I hope we never lose our most valuable tool... this ole truck list, because
as my dad says, "Like Thor and his mighty hammer... this list is the stuff
of ole truck restoration legend! With it we've got the power to get the job
done right.  Without it... well... it's going to be a lot harder, take a lot
longer, and be a lot less fun, but we've got to keep trying."

I wonder how this story is going to end.  Hmmm... I hope it ends in a way
that's best for those who count on it, because my dad and I know we're not
the only ones who think of this list as our most valuable tool.