[oletrucks] 235 Front Main Bearing Cap Mod

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net, old-chevy-truck@onelist.com
Subject: [oletrucks] 235 Front Main Bearing Cap Mod
From: Hudson29@aol.com
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1999 12:51:04 EDT
    Some time ago Inlinner Jack from FL suggested modifying the front main
bearing cap on the 235 to allow removing the timing cover without removing
the oil pan. This seemed a good idea, and a 3/8x16 tap made quick work of the
job. Next the timing cover will need to be drilled out to allow the 3/8x16x2"
stainless capscrews to pass through it.

    One hang-up did complicate the job. Chevy wants the front main cap
tightened to the front plate before the main bolts are torqued down.
Considering the lack of other alignment devices, this may be the way that
proper alignment of the cap is ensured.

    For this particular job, the front plate with it's gasket were left in
place and Gasgacinch employed to seal the front plate to the main bearing
cap. When the time came to install the cap, this thin sealer was lathered on
all surfaces and allowed to get tacky. The cap was then slid into position
and the capscrews run throu . . oh, oh, the front plate holes are too small
to allow the bolts to pass! Gee, I didn't think of that. Well, what now? If I
remove the bearing cap, I will destroy the gasket. To replace the gasket, the
front plate has to come off, and to get the front plate off, the cam has to
come out, and on and on.

    My solution on this day was to run the same 3/8x16 tap that had threaded
the main bearing cap forward through the cap and into the front plate. Rags
were laid out to keep steel filings out of the mechanical bits. The bolts
were then run into the cap from the front passing through the front plate and
snugged down. While this is certainly not the "A" solution, it did work to
get me out of a spot caused by some poor planning.

Paul O'Neil, Hudson29@aol.com
1951 Chevrolet 3600 Pickup Project, See it at:
The Poor Man's Advanced Design Tech Tips Page
http://home.earthlink.net/~conntest47/
Fullerton, California USA
AEROMARK - Need Rubber Stamps or Signs? See:
www.aeromark.net