[oletrucks] Mig welding without gas

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] Mig welding without gas
From: CLLLSLS@aol.com
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 1999 22:09:05 EDT
Ed,

No, it's not possible to mig weld without gas. If you try it your welds will
look like garbage and will be full of porosity. Most of the wire will
actually shoot at you in the form of spatter and very little will stay on the
base metal. Flux core sucks as far as I'm concerned. A friend gave me a spool
of flux core when he was cleaning out his garage. I tried it for a few hours,
then ripped it out and threw it away. When it comes to welding the best thing
to do is practice, practice, and practice some more. With mig welding it is
very easy to get excellent results with little practice. Virtually the only
way to screw up with mig is to have your machine set up wrong.
Good Luck.

Dustin
50 & 53 GMC 1/2 tons