[oletrucks] Cleaning out inner rust and...

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net, apache58truck@hotmail.com
Subject: [oletrucks] Cleaning out inner rust and...
From: "K & B" <apache58truck@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 1999 11:45:49 EDT
Hi Folks-

It's a rainy weekend here in the south of New Jersey
and my son and I have just this, and one more, weekend
to prepare the educational display for his 59 Apache
restoration project.  The display focuses on Brian's
tailgate.

So far we've used stripper and sandblasting to remove
paint and rust.  For the most part... we're down to the
bare metal... and... except for the stubborn dings and
dents (yet to be repaired)  and some welding that has to wait
until dryer weather... the surface is looking pretty nice.

We're making progress, but it's been very slow.  The learning
curve is a very big one for newcomers to this wonderful hobby!
We're committed to stick to it, but.... whew!  :*)

Seem like we're always in need of good advice... and ... since
this list is the best place to find it... here are two questions
we'd like to have help with:

1- We know that there has to be some (as yet unreachable)rust on the inner
walls (top & bottom portions) of the tailgate.  What can we do to be sure
that this "hidden rust" will not cause future problems from the inside
out... once we've restored all we can get to on the "outside"?

2- Is there a "list" of recommended products out there for surface
preparation, rust control, priming and finish painting?  I realize that some
of this information might be specific to the product manufacturer(s), but
Brian would like to set up various informational handouts for people to take
with them after visiting his "restoration display".

Thanks for any help-

Ken & Brian

K&B
Father & Son 1959 Apache Fleetside Truck Project in NJ
apache58truck@hotmail.com
Everyone asks:
Why the 58 in the e-mail address if the truck is a 59?
Our only reply:
When we bought it they told us it was a 58. When we
discovered it was really a 59... it was too late to
change the address! Plus, someday we might buy a 58 too! :-)
-