Re: [oletrucks] backup lamps

To: MarkNoakes@aol.com
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] backup lamps
From: jelerath@us.ibm.com
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 1999 10:18:56 -0600

I have a '53 3100.  I installed my own back-up lights (I have a 120 foot long
driveway that is narrow, is curved and on a hill.  I can't see squat without
backup lights).  I went to my local truck (as in 18 wheeler truck) store and
purchased a brake light switch that is exactly like the original on my pick up.
I mounted it to the rear engine mount (I have a 327 with a Saginaw 4sp and a
Hurst rear engine mount...yes, Hurst).  I bent the arm so it only contacts the
reverse linkage.

It is always in contact with the linkage to keep the electrical contacts open.
When I shift into reverse, the contacts close and turn on the lights.  It is
strictly a series switch in the back-up light circuit...just like the brake
lights.  Only I used the electrical circuit that is activated only when the
engine is in the "run" position.

It would have been better to use a normally open switch and mount it so it only
makes contact when shifted into reverse.  This is probably the only way to do it
for a 3-speed because 1st and reverse are on the same linkage.

Jon Elerath
jelerath@us.ibm.com

MarkNoakes@aol.com on 10/18/99 04:45:17 AM

Please respond to MarkNoakes@aol.com