Re: [oletrucks] 3x1 manifold

To: "Eric Johnson" <j.eric1@worldnet.att.net>,
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] 3x1 manifold
From: "jack halton" <safesix@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 1999 19:54:24 -0400
Eric,

 The old log manifolds from McGurk and Howard do a pretty good job of
distributing the fuel mixture. Having that log as a plenum also means you
don't have to have the carbs perfectly synchronized.

I've seen some "stub" manifold setups that seem to work OK on race cars, but
not sure how they would do on a street engine. Interesting idea, if you try
it, please let us know how it works.

I don't think the copper tubing is going to help much on the log intake,
though. You need a length of half-round or 3-sides-of-a-square aluminum
tubing welded to the back of the plenum, with pipe threads on each end, so
the hot coolant  makes full contact with as much of the manifold as
possible. Alloy dissipates heat pretty quickly, so you need to get the
entire thing as hot as possible. I had some problems finding a welder who
even understood what I was trying to accomplish, much less had the skill to
do it without burning holes in the manifold.....It turned out well though,
and really made a noticeable difference.

Jack / Winter Park FL (finally coolin' off a little)