[oletrucks] Re: oletrucks-digest V2 #768

To: "old trucks list" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Re: oletrucks-digest V2 #768
From: "J. Forbes" <jforbes@primenet.com>
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 1999 09:00:46 -0700
Jess--

Hi...I suggest you keep wood in it, and I'm glad to hear you are leaning
this way.  But, one thing that always strikes me as strange, is that folks
put varnished oak and polished stainless in their bed, and call it
"original" or "restored".  Originally, the truck had pine and steel strips,
ALL painted black, or possibly the color of the truck.

I put $40 of fir (it's hard to get real pine at the lumber yards in
Arizona) and the original steel strips in my orange 59 Fleetside, and
painted it all black....looks ok, not what I'd call "show", but when I have
to haul something in it, I don't worry about it.  Many of the mail order
places that sell the oak also sell good Southern yellow pine, which is what
was in the truck originally.  My other 59 (the extended cab) has the
original wood in it still, in decent shape, so it is good stuff, and can
last if not badly abused.

Food for thought...

Jim