Re: [oletrucks] wheel and tire change

To: "G. Simmons" <gls@4link.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] wheel and tire change
From: Grant Galbraith <trks@javanet.com>
Date: Fri, 05 Nov 1999 17:44:35 -0500
Hello Grant S,
   Nice name, however this could get confusing. Yes that is outside dia. Whether
a tire is radial or bias ply won't determine the overall dia though is does seem
radials generally tend to be  a wider tire. I've found the exception to this is
radial sized the old way such as 7.00 R x 15.  As I understand it 7 represents
the tire dia beyond the rim in inches so the overall dia will be 2x7 plus the 15
inch rim or 29". In the case of your 6.50 x 16's it would be 2 x 6.5 plus 16 or
29". Radials sized the new way such as 225R85x15 is a different story. Again, as
I understand it, 225 is the width of the tire in mm and 85 represents 85% of 225
that extends beyond the rim in dia. So, 85% of 225 is 191 mm, times 2 is 382 mm
plus 15" is the overall dia whatever the heck that works out to be. I am
metrically challenged. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
  Now that I've totally confused you Firestone has a web page listing sizes and
dia's with neat diagrams at www.firestone-usa.com/products_javanav.htm. Also
Wayne Osborne's Member's Page has a pic of my 50 with the 700Rx15 tires I
mentioned. I too prefer the original tall skinny looking tires.
  As far as bias ply goes, if they are working good for you why mess with
success. I had a bump steer problem that I could not seem to correct even after
rebuilding the front end and aligning. Radials solved it  for me.

Grant G
50 3100