Re: [oletrucks] Balance resistor

To: Perry Smith <perigrinefalcon@netscape.net>, <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Balance resistor
From: Bob Fischer <bfischer@utm.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 1999 07:55:25 -0800
Hi Perry,
Get a new resistor, it is probably "open", no continuity. You can check it
with a ohm meter to be sure but these are the classic symptoms of a open
ballast resistor. The bypass is to allow a full 12volts for starting
purposes, then drop it down to about 7 - 9 volts when the key is back to
the run position, and keep from burning the points.
 >tor. This truck has a 1981 chevy truck 350 block
>with 1968 chevy 327 heads. In the manual that I have(reproduction) there is a
>call for a by-pass from the solenoid to the primary lead of the coil, for
>cranking only. I am assuming that the starter is of a later generation and
>that the solenoid is too, because I added a by-pass to the switched side of
>the solenoid up to the primary pole on the coil. Now it will start but as
soon
>as I release the key it looses ignition spark and dies.

"Nothin lasts forever except old Fords and a natural stone" - Willie Nelson

http://home.utm.net/bfischer          e-mail - bfischer@utm.net

robert.fischer@cdc.com