[oletrucks] Fuel Pump for GMC six

To: <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Fuel Pump for GMC six
From: "Eric and Linda St.Phillips" <lstphil1@rochester.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 4 Dec 1999 19:34:43 -0500
Hi All,
The 270 straight six in my 1959 GMC 100 has a Carter carburator and fuel
pump. I always thought Carter was a service replacement parts manufacturer
not a factory parts supplier. Anyway, I need to rebuild or replace the fuel
pump. I'd like some input on what pump would have been stock on my truck.  I
also would appreciate  any sources for rebuild kits and advice on any
service issues with modern fuels if any. The old fuel pump has a steel bowl
with the AC logo pipe coupled to it. The bowl is held in place by a wire
bail .  I haven't explored inside yet but would this be a fuel
filter/sediment bowl? is there an element inside ?
The catalogs I have mention a glass top fuel pump as original equipment for
Chevy and GMC sixes. Would the two have used the same fuel pump? I have seen
NOS AC fuel pumps for six cylinder Chevy trucks inclusive to  1959
advertised on that "e" place for under $20.00.
If a bought an NOS pump , what should be done to it before installing it on
the engine.
Thanks
Eric A. St. Phillips
Fairport, NY