Re: [oletrucks] engine swap

To: oletrucks list <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] engine swap
From: J Forbes <jforbes@primenet.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 1999 11:05:22 -0700
G. Simmons wrote:
>And besides, if you had to swap out an original  235, one of >mankind's better
>inventions, why settle for a 250?  I'd put in a >292.

Regards,

Grant S. gls@4link.net

Grant--

The 292 6 cyl, which looks like a 250 but is taller, also has a
different mounting setup...they had to move things around to make the
longer stroke crank fit, and as a result, the passenger side motor mount
is forward of where it is on the 250.  This means that the motor mounts
on the 292 are not at the same place on both sides...so a crossmember to
mount the engine would be harder to make, as the mounts will have to be
offset.

I will pass no judgement on the 235 vs 250 vs 292...I'd just like folks
to know what they're getting into with these different engines!   The
235 is based on the original Stovebolt 6 Chevy engines from the 1930s,
while the 230/250/292 design dates to the early 1960s, and shares the
basic design philosopy of the small block v-8...ie, lightweight, simple,
compact, and efficient.

Jim