[oletrucks] Bed Questions

To: "Oletrucks" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Bed Questions
From: "Gwyn Reedy" <mgr@mgrcorp.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Dec 1999 08:39:52 -0500
I've been looking for pictures of longbed 41-46 pickups. Found a few, but
most are 1/2 ton. Am I right that 3/4 ton would be a longer bed?

Maybe I should explain what I'm trying to do. Got a 46 Chev 1 1/2 ton
without a bed. I want to put a pickup bed on it. If possible (affordable)
would like to get the proper 41-46 style. It needs to be longer than a half
ton because of the longer wheelbase. Plan is to widen the bed as needed so
that the fenders clear the outside dual wheels. Then add a wheel house
inside the bed to clear the inside duals.

Since I will have to provide a new wider piece for the front and will
probably go without a tailgate, at least at first, and will have to butcher
the sides where the wheel houses go, I don't want to get a good bed and tear
it up.

Just talking about the bed sides - how different or similar would the bed
sides be between the 41-46, 47-55, 55-59, 60-72 etc. If the bed sides are
very similar then I'll only need to find a pair of 41-45 fenders. A 50's or
60's long, narrow bed is the least popular kind so should be easier to
find/afford.

I'm going on a 9000 mile trip in January hauling old tractors with my 72
Cheyenne and gooseneck. Will get all over the country so could haul parts
home if I can locate them before then.

All information and advice will be appreciated.

Christmas greetings,

Gwyn Reedy
Brandon, Florida
mailto:mgr@mgrcorp.com