Re: [oletrucks] Metallic Brake Shoes

To: Steven & Sharlyn Rocha <srocha@pacbell.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Metallic Brake Shoes
From: Grant Galbraith <trks@javanet.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 1999 11:01:35 -0500
I think it would depend on how rare your brake drums are. Metallic shoes will
eventually take it's toll on your drums and if you have 3/4 ton huck brakes
you may not want to use them.
   I've been using a kevlar composite shoes that supposedly reduces brake fade
and stops faster than regulars shoes. The manufacture also claims they are
easier on your drums. I haven't been able to truly assess their performance
because in my panic stop tests the rear wheels lock up. This has a tendency to
get the truck sideways and gets me back off the brakes. I have bendix drum
brakes all around on this 50. No matter how I adjust them I can't seem to get
the front to start locking at the same time the rear does. One of my winter
projects will be to put a proportioning valve on to reduce the rear pressure.
I read a Popular Mechanics article on ABS comparison tests that said F*rd
Explorer sacrifices some rear wheel stopping power to assure the rear doesn't
lock up as this can spell trouble for a high center of gravity vehicle.

Grant