[oletrucks] Advice Needed

To: <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Advice Needed
From: "Deve Krehbiel" <dkrehbiel@kscable.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2000 21:54:45 -0600
Welp.. here I am.. at a crossroads on the project. I have the bed, front
fenders (inner and outer), grill, radiator mount, tires, drums, brake lines,
fuel lines and more I am sure OFF the truck frame. I did this to do a
thorough rust removal job. I've done pretty well, but at this point I am
re-thinking my previous idea of not removing the cab and drivetrain from the
frame. I got this far and realized that I don't want to have to ever do this
again, so now going a bit further seems like it might be smart in the long
run.

My goal is to paint the frame, engine, cab firewall, etc.. and do a really
good job. Sorta hard with it together. I cant imagine the headache of
painting the frame and all with it assembled. It seems impossible to do a
competent job. I dunno, I hate to put an expensive paint job on the truck
and it be superficial due to whats under the hood and chassis.

The cab mounts have already been removed and re-installed for cleaning so
removal of those is easy. But since I havent done any mechanicin in awhile
(but used to be good at it 20 years ago), what is there to removing cab?
Wiring, cables and linkages arent my worry.. my worry is the steering
column. How does one proceed to remove it? Lastly, how heavy is the cab? Can
a few people slide it off the frame onto a dolly or will it require a hoist?
What problems or pitfalls have you all encountered in doing this? Anything
special I should know?

Thanks for any help!

Deve
50 3100