[oletrucks] Cab Removal

To: <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Cab Removal
From: "Deve Krehbiel" <dkrehbiel@kscable.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2000 18:03:52 -0600
After the replies I received and a good nights rest, I decided to remove the
cab. It took about 30 minutes to remove the steering column/gearbox, another
30 minutes to disconnect all linkages, wires, cables, etc, and another 15
minutes to remove the 6 bolts holding the Cab on the Frame and then another
30 minutes to remove the doors, gas tank, seats and seat frame. It was such
an anticlimax that I just sat there the rest of the day looking at the bare
frame and didnt get anything done!! In other words.. it was NOOOOO big deal
at all! Took 3 of us to lift the cab off the frame and set it on a flat
dolly so I can roll it around the shop. We didnt use a pulley, or boards or
anything, just grabbed the bottom of the cab, picked it up and walked it
over to the dolly. I made sure upon setting it down it is properly supported
and all is fine!

I was told by a very knowledgeable 47-54 Chevy Truck Restorer that it was a
major headache. I have had much harder days just trying to remove one
stripped out bolt. So... anyone pondering if they should remove it or not,
my suggestion is to go ahead. I wont sweat that issue again. It was well
worth it since its impossible to get to all the rust and then be able to
paint the frame properly without it.

Thanks to all!

Deve Krehbiel
50 3100