Re: [oletrucks] Steering play - Bearing play adjustment

To: glperry@fwi.com, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Steering play - Bearing play adjustment
From: EEHodges@aol.com
Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2000 12:11:09 EST
I've got a problem getting the large end cap to turn so I can adjust the
"end-play." I assembled the box after rebuild but didn't get it fully
adjusted while the truck was at the body shop. Part of my problem is that I
used a thread sealant per the manual's recommendation to avoid leaks. The
lock ring came off with a little persuasion but not the adjuster. It
definately needs adjustment but I can't get the thing to turn. I've broken
several large screwdrivers, skinned several knuckles, tried WD40, propane
torch on the housing, loosened the top cover to remove any tension, tried a
flat 5/8" steel turned with a socket...

What's the trick? Is there a special tool? Bigger hammer?

Thanks in advance for all the help.

EEHodges@aol.com
Emory Hodges
48 Chevy 3/4 ton "Rack"