Re: [oletrucks] Body Work

To: "Deve Krehbiel" <dkrehbiel@kscable.com>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Body Work
From: "Charles Culver" <sculver@iwl.net>
Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2000 20:22:51 -0800
>I am hoping to get some input<

Dave-

I'm like you, want my trucks to look really good, but am having a lot of the
work done elsewhere.  My initial project was my '50, which was pretty much
rust/dent free from the start.  So I basically just had to smooth a couple
of places out, and it was ready for the paint shop, where it is now.

Then I bought the '56.  Unlike the '50, this one did not come from Arizona,
and was far from rust free.  In fact, there are major rust places to repair.
My plan was to take it to a sheet metal restoration place and leave it,
having all the patch panels done, then pick it up when it's finished.
However, I went out to visit a fellow list member, who had done all this
himself, and was so impressed that I decided to try it myself.

I am amazed at the patch panels that are available to fit all the typical
places where trucks tend to rust out.  And I learned that a properly welded
patch panel will give you a stronger area than what was there originally.
My wife recently bought me a Lincoln 115v wire feed welder, which is ideal
for this kind of work, and although I haven't tried anything on the truck
yet, with a little practice, I believe I can do as well as anyone.  And
although I don't have a lot of time to spend on this, I figure I can order a
panel or two, weld them in, order another one or two, etc., until some day I
have a solid truck, then off to the paint shop.  Might be something to think
about.

And finally, might I recommend a great book:  "How To Restore Your Chevrolet
Pickup" by Tom Brownell, Published by Motorbooks International.  My copy
cost 20 bucks at Barnes & Nobel.  Has a lot of restoration info in all areas
for 1928-1991 trucks.

Good luck!

Smokey Culver
'50 3600 5-window (mine) & '56 3600 (hers)