Re: [oletrucks] Bell housing

To: oletrucks list <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Bell housing
From: J Forbes <jforbes@primenet.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2000 17:10:50 -0700
Viggo--

I have never worked on a C50, so I'm not sure what size the flywheel
is.  If the flywheels on both engines are 14 inches diameter, and have
the same size of teeth on the gear, then you should be able to use
either type of starter.  I have used an "under" bolt starter on a 396
with the 3 bolt "front mounted" type bellhousing before, but it was in a
1/2 ton truck.

That sounds like a fun truck!  You still might not be able to go very
fast, if you keep the original rear end gears.  A friend of mine had a
C40 1961 truck with a 396, and it would only go about 50 miles/hour
because of the rearend gears turning the engine too fast.

Jim
You wrote:
At first sight the orginal bellhousing from a 1967 C50 ( 292 )doesnīt
seem
to fit my 1969 396 because of the location of the starter..Iīve not
tried
yet in leak of time, but the original 292 starter are "front mounted"
and
the 393 use the std. Chevy with two bolts "under"..Can I use any of
these
starters or do I need another bell housing...?And if ya wonder, itīs
gonna
be a 57 2 ton on a C50 chassie..

Regards

Viggo