Re: [oletrucks] shop ideas

To: <MKlepp4335@cs.com>, <jforbes@primenet.com>, <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] shop ideas
From: "G. Simmons" <gls@4link.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2000 20:54:17 -0800
I have a garage sized workshop, but I do not regularly move cars in and out
of it, so I recently decided to get rid of the one-piece swing up garage
door and replace it with two swing out  side doors.  This should free up
about a third more rafter space.

Two other ideas which might be of interest.  As I reorganize my shop,
everything is going on wheels.  In part this is because with limited space,
it is nice to be able to move things around to suit the size of a particular
project.  The other reason is that it makes sweeping up much easier if you
can wheel things  away from walls and corners.

The other idea is to make a mount out of 2 inch and 2 1/4 inch square tubing
which can be a stand for lots of tools that you use once in a while but
don't want nailed permanently to your work bench.  For instance, a buffer is
a great thing when you're polishing stainless, but the rest of the time you
don't want it out.  Same with the sheet metal brake, anvil, vise etc.

The mount begins about 2 feet up the garage wall with a 1/4 x 10 x 10 plate
drilled for lag screws and screwed to the wall.  The plate has about 8
inches of 2 1/4 square tube welded in the center, coming out parallel to the
floor.  The tube has two holes drilled, one in the top, one in a side, tand
a 1/2 inch nut welded over them to hold set bolts.  This is all that is
visible when the mount is disassembled.

The rest of the mount is a length of 2 inch square tube that fits in the
wall mount and comes out about four feet.  This is welded to a 2 1/4 tube
coming up about 2 1/2 feet from the floor at 90 degrees.  The upright is
welded to a 1/2 x 10 x 10 base and has the same set bolt arrangement as the
wall mount.

When the wall and floor pieces are put together and the set bolts tightened,
the base is very sturdy.  A length of 2 inch tube then goes in the upright,
and individual tools are mounted to  short lengths of 2 1/4 tube which fit
over the top.  Set bolts in the tool mounts keep everything tight.  Works
pretty good.

Hope this is clear.

Regards,

Grant S. gls@4link.net