Re: [oletrucks] Everything old is new again

To: "Bill Bailey" <billb@gamewood.net>, <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Everything old is new again
From: "G. Simmons" <gls@4link.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2000 15:28:05 -0800
Hi Bill,

Very cool.  Glad to see GM is finally getting away from its boxy LEGO toy
design mode.  I bought my Dodge RAM 1500 in part because of its resemblance
to AD trucks.  This design strategy was a big success for Dodge, along with
its excellent quality control.  It's funny, because when I was a kid, nobody
wanted Chrysler products.

Anyway, a year or so, Dodge came up with a Power Wagon concept truck, which
may have pushed GM in the same direction.  Here're some pictures:

http://www.timberlinedodge.com/powagon/images.htm

Although I am overjoyed to see some classic lines being produced again, I
wish Detroit could put out a basic truck.  I don't really need power door
locks, heated mirrors, cruise control, fancy upholstery, etc.  In fact, to
me all of that stuff is just a bunch of problems waiting to happen.

But I shouldn't complain.  In fact, I'm really impressed.  For a long time
it seemed like the people in Detroit would just as soon build refrigerators
as cars.  Now,  it appears that they really like what they're making and
care about quality.  Not a moment too soon, I say.

Regards,

Grant S. gls@4link.net