[oletrucks] cowl vents & heaters in the South

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] cowl vents & heaters in the South
From: varanus@phoenix.net
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2000 15:56:39 -0600
Good idea about directing flow during those warmer months. But,
really, here in Houston - I don't miss my heater at all.  All the warm air
coming through the firewall grommets from the engine is good
enough! ;)~

Re cowl vents, mine wasn't working a few weeks ago. When I bought
the truck 10 years ago, it wasn't working and I took it apart, cleaned
and lubed and it worked fine.  So, the other day I was waiting at a gas
station for an inspection and decided to "get under there" and see
what was going on with my beloved cowl vent.  I happened to have a
quart of oil in the cab and I dipped my finger, swabbed it on the cowl
arm - gave it a good yank and - presto - fixed for another 10 years!
That's what I love about these old trucks - the stuff is built to last and
to be fixed.  You might have to get dirty here and there but - by god -
it's better than some plastic "POS" that GM wants $300 for that's just
going to break again anyway.  No sir, I'll take old iron anyday!
Eric