[oletrucks] Frame Painting Pt 2

To: <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Frame Painting Pt 2
From: "Deve Krehbiel" <dkrehbiel@kscable.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2000 16:23:08 -0600
Well, after spending a week on sanding, then noticing some imperfections in
the frame welds that I had done and grinding them, then re-priming those
areas (Its amazing what you can see after the green etch primer-filler is
on) I put the first coat of black epoxy primer on today. I am also quite
amazed at how different the different coatings are in their spreading
characteristics. The green stuff I would have been better off coating it
very lightly not even making the metal completely green the first time
around.. while the epoxy primer went on thicker and turned the green color
to black right away. Also, the green etch primer dried almost right away
while the epoxy primer is still wet to the touch after 2 hours. In fact, its
so wet, I decided to put the first coat on today and just put the second on
tomorrow just to make sure its good and dry. I am not using seriously
excessive primer as it is recommended to use a gallon and I have only used 2
quarts so far (about 3 quarts with epoxy activator included). But if you
disagree.. I agree that I am one of those guys that believe the "bigger the
blob, the better the job" so I will just take longer in the sanding process.
Tomorrow, I will flip the frame over and recoat it with another 2 quarts of
epoxy and then spend until wednesday sanding the whole thing.

In view of the different characteristics of the primers, what can I expect
of the Urethane top coat? I still ran the heck out of the primer because
this frame has so many channels and rivets and crap that dont allow a smooth
coat, thus the need for a lot of sanding. I am not worried about what I have
on so far cuz I can sand it, but the top coat WILL run the way I am doing
this and I dont know how to stop it. I tried doing better this time and no
change whatsoever. The stream is coming out vertical and sometimes I need a
more horizontal stream which only works if the sprayer is full. What this
means unless you guys have any tips is, I can run the crap out of the top
coat and just live with it, or I can be more cautious and not have it cover
ANY of the inside channels, around rivets and some of the ridiculously hard
to get at places. Whats the trick?

I am proud of myself nonetheless. It looks so good and I am fixing all
mistakes as I make them. When you realize its a far far better job than
Chevrolet did in 1950, it makes it all worth it. I never knew that frame
could ever look this good. The satisfaction I am getting from this is
comparable to last year when I aced the pilots exam. I tellya, its not all
that half-bad being 40 something! :)

Deve
50 3100