Re: [oletrucks] Bed wood

To: <Advdesign1@aol.com>, <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Bed wood
From: "Eric and Linda St.Phillips" <lstphil1@rochester.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2000 22:26:46 -0500
I agree with Bob Casebeer, when I removed what I'm sure was the original
wood from my 59 long fleetside the wood had rabbits 3/16-1/4" wide and 1/4"
deep or so.  I purchased a high quality  stainless steel wear strip kit and
the edges of the steel will sit in the bottom of the rabbit and the flat
portion in the center of the strips sits on the thined edge of the boards
(approx. 1/8"less than full thickness on the edges) this way the strip is
fully supported on its edges and the center. The result is the strips end up
1/16" or less above the surface of the boards and pretty much flush with the
top edge of the rear cross member. I copied the original wood as faithfully
as I could considering age shrinkage and wear but  I tweaked the depth of
the rabbits a little to match the stainless strips which varied slightly
from the original steel.
Eric A. St.Phillips
1959 GMC 100
Fairport, NY