[oletrucks] Yikes! Rust!

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] Yikes! Rust!
From: chico.woodhill@zensearch.net
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 17:09:42 -0800
I know I'm gonna hate the answer to this question, but here goes:

I bought a '49 3100 from a lady whose husband was "not in the picture anymore".

The body looked exceptionally good, no dents, no rust, with a primer
coat. The interior hadn't been worked on, aside from some past owner
spraying the whole thing with heavy, drippy, black enamel.

I've been working on the interior. Exterior coming up next.

This week I saw (aauugghh!) some little rust splotches discoloring
the primer. A few are on smooth metal (hood and bed side), and some
are around the driver's windshield where it meets rubber.

Am I screwed? Do I have to remove all primer everywhere to eliminate
all rust before painting? Do I have any alternatives?

If I'm screwed: what options do I have for primer removal? I'm not
going for a frame-off resto, I just want a reasonably good looking
machine with a non-rusty paint job.

I'm in California, not the rust belt, if that makes any difference.

Thanks (I hope...)

Chico