[oletrucks] Manual to Automatic Part I

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] Manual to Automatic Part I
From: Banjomike@aol.com
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2000 15:47:32 EST
Hello everybody,

I suppose we could call this part the "time management" session.

Jacked up the ole truck yesterday and put it on jacks all the way around.
Cut the old cross member off just at the frame, filed off the edges, left the
piece on that holds the shocks and called it good enough.  Used a hydraulic
jack and a piece of  wood to hold engine in place.  This  took approximately
1 hour using air tools.

Still trying to decide what kind of transmission I have.  It has two cut off
corners that would otherwise make it square, no manual kickdown, and an
electrical plug.  It is a Chevy tranny though.

Next we decided that we should have all new flexplate bolts, I still needed
the tube and dipstick, and needed to determine which way to put the flex
plate on (there was no F to indicate front.)

Went to Pep Boys, they didn't have anything we needed, went to NAPA, who said
we needed to go to the dealer.  Went over to the dealer, they closed at 2:00,
and it was now 2:05.  Got ready to go to the junkyard, a neighboring ole
truck owner stopped by, and we figured out the flexplate problem, discussed
the age of his truck, the problems he had, looked under the hood, commented
on different interesting points, had a beer and 1 1/2 hours later, went to
the junkyard, found the tube and dipstick, got some bell housing bolts, and
we were done for the day.

Moral of this section: Have all pieces and parts before starting.

Mike Gleeson
'55 Chevy 1/2T Longbed