[oletrucks] valve adjust

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] valve adjust
From: Thomas M OBrien <tmobrien@juno.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2000 22:14:58 -0800
At the risk of sounding "mechanically challenged", I adjusted the valves
on my newly broken in 283 this weekend according to the specs in the
Motors Manual and Shop Manual and now my truck wont start.  The starter
will crank the motor and makes a whining sound that wasn't there before,
and then a puff of air out the exhaust.

I warmed up the engine, turned the crank to # 1 TDC, and adjusted
appropriate valves; then cranked over to # 6 TDC and adjusted the rest.
Checked distributor to double check rotor in correct firing position.
Rolled pushrods between fingers to take out lash then turned 1/2 turn
down.

Is it normal to have to turn down the adjusting nuts a lot after just
breaking in a new rebuilt motor - like around 4 turns or more? Am I
missing something?  Did I screw up the timing so it wont fire at the
right moment?  Is it possible to turn down the adjusting nuts too far?
Interference between piston and valve?

Thanks for your help.  Gotta love these old 283s.

Tom O.
60 Apache K20.