[oletrucks] '76 Camaro clip job

To: <gbgf@email.msn.com>, <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] '76 Camaro clip job
From: "Keith" <kvdurand@mail.esc4.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2000 16:26:24 -0800
I think the level should be taken at the rear, where the arms sticking out
would be attached to the Camaro body. These end up getting cut off, but
don't do that until it is in place. I have heard to use the Camaro camber
specs and add  a few degrees to the Camaro caster. This will involve
pointing the front of the clip up a little above level. If the shims can't
make it work, a frame shop can put in a few quick bends. Set the wheelbase
the same as the truck. It is a must to have the spindles on. Make sure it is
the same side to side. The upper ball joint zerk is a good reference. The
engine and tranny angle is not critical, but the angles of the tranny and
rearend must be equal and opposite (tranny points down and rearend points up
same no. of degrees). The way I'm setting mine up is to put a laser pointer
in a machined piece of plastic that fits in the tailhousing. I point that at
the rearend with the rear at approx. ride height. Then fabricate tranny
crossmember to match. I used the stock Camaro motor mounts, but an early 327
doesn't have side mounts. Be careful, the has been some discussion about
using front mounts with an automatic. Sometimes the bellhousing breaks. Good
luck.

Keith
'56 Chevy 3100