Re: [oletrucks] To those running the T-5 with the i-6....

To: gls@4link.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] To those running the T-5 with the i-6....
From: Passnb4U@aol.com
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2000 00:06:01 EST
In a message dated 1/31/00 4:19:09 PM Pacific Standard Time, gls@4link.net
writes:

> Hi Mike,
>
>  This may seem ironic, given my recent puzzlings over mix n'match new/old
>  technology, but I did say I wasn't a purist!  But of course the T-5 isn't
>  visible and is a necessary addition to make the truck driveable at highway
>  speeds.
>
>  I had a local trans shop build a T-5 for me with a camaro main case and an
>  S10 tail housing.
>
>  The '80s Camaro T-5s have an 18 degree twist which puts the tail housing at
>  a funny angle when you bolt up to a 235.  You can see the bell housing
>  offset in the camaro in this photo
>  http://www.sallee-chevrolet.com/BorgWarner/bwt56pics.html.
>
>  The shift also comes out too far back on the car versions, whereas the S-10
>  tail housing has the shift at the front.  The camaro versions have a closer
>  set of ratios, however, than the S-10s.  Early camaros, novas, etc., did
not
>  have the twist, but they also had the shift in the wrong place.
>
>  Grant Galbraith reports using S-10 T-5s satisfactorily, but using 1st as a
>  granny low and basically driving on 2-5.  He says the S-10 versions he's
>  used did not have the camaro twist.
>
>  I read recently on another site that you can put Ford World Class T-5
>  internals into a Chevy T-5 case, and that these will handle an extra 100
>  horses or so.  Don't know if this was hot air or just what.
>
>  Regards,
>
>  Grant S. gls@4link.net

  Thanks,

  I think that T-5 that is rotated is from the 3rd generation F-Body's, but
may be stronger than the S-10 T'5's, not sure, but something to think about.
The T-5's behind the 305's did have to withsatnd about 210-220hp and about
240-260 ft/lbs of torque.

  I wonder if GM used the WC T-5 in anything?  Then again, if the mounting
holes on the Ford T-5 were the same, I don't see why you couldn't use one and
a clutch disc from a Ford as well (I know, doesn't sound right...) to take
advantage of a stronger tranny (at least advertised as stronger).

  Sure wish I had the $$ laying around for a T56 form the newer F-Body's,
supposed to be tough as nails.

Mike