Re: [oletrucks] Jack and stand recommendations

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Jack and stand recommendations
From: B&A Kettunen <bekett@uslink.net>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2000 22:26:53 -0600 (CST)
I would go for at least a 3 ton floor jack (the kind with wheels).  It's
not that the smaller ones won't lift the truck, it's just easier pumping on
the big one.  This old iron is heavy, especially in the front.  I got mine
at Sam's and it seems perfectly adequate.  It was around $60.  This one
came with a lifting pad with a short and long column under it.  The tall
one is for  higher lifts.

For stands, I would get four.  You may not need them all right away, but
they sure are handy things.  When you need all four, it will be at 6:00 on
Friday night.  I would go heavier here.  You life may depend on these
jacks.  When you're setting up, you may have half of the truck setting on
one.  Go for something around 3 tons.  The wider base and taller stance
will also make them more stable than the cheaper light ones.

Make some push rods for the jacks so you can set them in place without
crawling under the truck while it is supported by the jack.

Unless you've lowered yours, clearance isn't a problem on these trucks so
you can go heavy.

You can always cut a hole in the floor and make a pit.  Many times that's
lots better than any jack stands <g>

Lets be safe out there!

Bruce Kettunen
'57 3100