[oletrucks] Original cast iron look

To: Old Trucks List <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Original cast iron look
From: J Forbes <jforbes@primenet.com>
Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2000 20:09:49 -0700
I've seen new cast iron parts, and the color is not the same as what
comes out of a bead blast cabinet...the glass beads turn everything a
dull gray, without the sparkle of new cast.

If you use something else to blast with, such as plastic media or maybe
walnut shells, then you might get the original color.

But, since exhaust manifolds have usually rusted away some, and will
rust away more if unpainted, it doesn't really matter   :)   especially
if you drive your oletruck as much as I drive mine...the mud winds up
covering most of it.

For exhaust headers, I usually glass bead or sandblast, then paint with
black high temp paint.  At least when black paint fades and burns off,
it leaves a natural looking dark grey color...burned white or silver
paint looks awful  (imo)

Jim