Re:[oletrucks] Water from steel (was originally about POR-15)]

To: "Ole Trucks" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re:[oletrucks] Water from steel (was originally about POR-15)]
From: "WR Teto" <monadnoc@crystal-mtn.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2000 13:35:59 -0500
Yes the welding rod is kept in ovens to keep the moisture out of it.  ASME
nuclear certifications require all low hydrogen rod (lo-hy) to be stored
this way.  7018 rod can be kept out of a heated container for a maximum of 4
hours, with 2 hours for 8018 and so on up to only 30 minutes for 110-18.  I
believe that the military specification is pretty similar.  The problem with
keeping rod out too long is that for it to be useful again, it has to go
through a re-baking process at a pretty high temperature.  Our large rod
storage ovens at the shop are at a constant 250-350 degree temp, and any
lo-hy that has been subjected to cold temps for more than it's maximum is
thrown out since we have no facility for re-baking.

BTW Grant, you might have welded  in some of our stuff...we made a lot of
HY-80 manways for Electric Boat over the years, probably with my name signed
off on the ultrasonic and X-ray reports.  Hope you did a good job welding
'em in!!!   :-)

All this is good food for thought for you guys that might be welding on your
oletruck in the cold months.  Make sure the steel is warmed up and this will
help the structure of the weld as well as that hydrogen embrittlement
problem.

Wally / certified nuclear welding inspector, but only a so-so welder!