[oletrucks] Brakes--6 lug discs, dual m/cyl

To: Old Trucks List <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Brakes--6 lug discs, dual m/cyl
From: J Forbes <jforbes@primenet.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 22:15:50 -0700
Two things caught my eye on this digest...

One is the comment that a 71 GMC had manual disc brakes, and 6 lug
wheels.  The two wheel drive half tons switch to 5 lug wheels in 71,
when they went to disc brakes.  The 4 wheel drive trucks went to discs
about then (perhaps in 1970?) and kept 6 lug wheels, but the 4x4 rotors
are not the same as on 2wd.  The 4wd rotors can be adapted to original
50s 6 lug hubs, this is what the Bufallo kit does.  I looked for a long
time for 6 lug 2wd rotors, before I finally figured this out   :)

Also...if you have a dual master cylinder, and one side of the brake
system goes out, you WILL notice the problem, because the pedal will go
almost to the floor!  The brakes will not work too well, either, as half
of the braking is gone.  A caution here--if you get the pedal linkage
wrong, you will find that you have NO brakes when one side goes out.
You need to get FULL travel of the piston in the m/cyl.  If the pedal
bottoms out on the floor before the piston bottoms out in the master
cylinder, then you will not get the advantages of having a dual master
cylinder.

Keep truckin'....
Jim