[oletrucks] 79 305

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] 79 305
From: "Perry Smith" <perigrinephalkon@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 14:39:34 MST
Andy
I have a 78 Nova Custom with a 305 that I purchased new in 1978. After 20
years and 200,000 miles of very dependable service it now rests completely
rebuilt waiting for me to finish the total restoration of the Nova for my 22
year old son. When I tore it down (still running strong) the only excessive
wear was in the valve guides and the cam had a few flattened lobes. the only
differences between the 305 and the 350 are the cam, the bore and the
cylinder wall thickness. When I rebuilt it I installed a 350 cam (gives
slightly higher lift) enlarged the intake valves to 1.185 and installed a
Carter AFB four barrel. When I start it I can allready sense a differance in
the way it runs.
As with all engines (cars for that matter) regular maintenance will make the
difference between success and failure.

Perry Smith
58 GMC Fleetside
Phoenix Arizona