Re: [oletrucks] 305 vs 350

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] 305 vs 350
From: MarkNoakes@aol.com
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 22:39:35 EST
My 86 Silverado came with a 305 and 3 speed auto with lockup torque converter
running thru a 2.73 final diff.  That was back in the days of 55mph speed
limits and it got 22 mpg when new and running with the cruise control at 55
on the interstate.  The truck now has 205,000 miles on it and has served me
well but is starting to have quite a bit of trouble.

However:

1--The power definitely isn't great.  It has trouble pulling trailers; no
trouble pulling itself.  If I put in another engine for the next 200K, I'll
go with a 350 instead.

2--Ever since new it has had trouble with pinging; the dealer said that the
305's were all like that.  I've since heard that there is an issue with valve
shrouding on the 305 heads as opposed to the 350 heads.  Someone else can
surely talk about this in more detail; all I know is that the 305's ping way
too much.

Mark Noakes