[oletrucks] Oops! My 270's a boat anchor! (was happy update)

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] Oops! My 270's a boat anchor! (was happy update)
From: CLLLSLS@aol.com
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 23:21:00 EST
Running a rag through the piston bores after I got all the pistons out today.
Got to #6 piston and, oops, there's a crack going nearly from the deck and
almost to the bottom on the side of the cylinder. My machine shop says they
can sleeve it as long as it doesn't extend into the deck and it doesn't go
beyond the bottom.

But I got to thinking. I don't really want a sleeved block. Especially in a
motor that's going to be heavily used and turbocharged like this one. So....I
need another 270 block-right? I'm thinking maybe not.

What if I have the 248 I was replacing with this 270 bored .0625" over
standard bringing it to 270 standard bore. I can put the 270 crank in it and
use standard bore 270 pistons. Viola! Instant 270!

Will this work, or are there problems with a 270 crank in the 248 block?

Pulled the 248 tonight and gonna tear into it in the morning. Sure hope it's
good.

Dustin
50 & 53 GMC 1/2 tons
48 GMC 3/4 ton