Re: [oletrucks] 305 vs 350 PINGING

To: TORODRVR@aol.com, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] 305 vs 350 PINGING
From: LandBBall@aol.com
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2000 21:32:39 EST
I have a 79 Blazer that had a 305 in it that would almost ping on start up. I
bought it from a friend and asked him if it had always this, he gave me the
same story about dealer as you got. Had to use perm or it would not turn off.
Eventually # 3 piston broke after 230k and turbo installation. It probably
didn't enough power in stock form to hurt it self and I had the built 350
ready to go in. To make along story short the same # 3 piston broke on the
350 at about 2500 miles because of a pinging problem
 so I started checking and found # 3 to be about 10 degrees more advanced
then the others. After changing HEI distributors all is fine.

Louie