RE: [oletrucks] Fentons Hdrs with Stock Intake - Ideas

To: <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] Fentons Hdrs with Stock Intake - Ideas
From: "Michael Snow" <mwsnow@home.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 21:16:46 -0800
I have a stock intake (part# 3886690) with vintage Fentons on my 235.  I am
not positive that this is the correct intake for a 235.  It may very well be
a 216 intake.  The underside of the carb mounting area appears to have a
plate welded flush with the bottom.  I have no intake heating of any kind.
The carb is a Carter YF with manual choke.

I live near San Diego, California.  I have driven this setup in cool weather
down to about 40 degrees.  IMHO, some type of manifold heating is advisable.
Before I parked the truck last July, I drove it 13 miles each way to work.
My truck needs to run at cruising speed (50 MPH) for a couple miles before
it will idle well in cool weather.  It is simple to compensate for poor fuel
vaporization by using the choke when the engine is cold.  Unfortunately, I
do no have a functioning throttle cable to raise the idle at the same time.
God just didn't give me enough feet to do the dance required to bring the
truck to a stop without stalling it while the engine is warming up.

I am seriously considering installing a stock intake and exhaust just for
the simplicity, quiet running, and longevity.  FWIW, I had similar results
with my Jeeps (258 I6 with the same YF carb).  Headers are for racing!
Manifold heating helps, even here in the sunny southwest.  For all you
northern oletruckers, HEAT THE INTAKE MANIFOLD!

Way more than my 2 cents,

Mike Snow
1953 3100
Camp Pendleton, California